Sunday, January 31, 2010

How Can Cruel Fate Be So Kind?

How Can Cruel Fate Be So
Kind?

Wind.
How can such a simple thing be so forceful and wild,
a hurricane ripping away precious houses and taking lives?
How can it just as quickly be calm and soft,
stirring your hair as we walk?
Rain.
How can mere water take lives and love,
rushing through the streets, billowing over river banks?
How can mere water flow through a brook,
singing the melody that fills my summers?
Sun.
How can something so far away have light that takes lives,
containing things that cause Grandaddy to lie still and motion less
as the doctor tells us the cancer won?
How can the same force that took his life be warm,
a warm hand on my shoulder, you on my side?
Love.
How can one word be ripped from my life,
his life slowing fading into cold, dense, despairing death?
How can the same substance be the one thing in my life,
the one thing that you give me to keep going,
to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment